Assistant Golf Professional
Position Description: Assists the Head Golf Professional with the implementation of the golf operation policies and procedures. Interacts with members, guests, and other employees to ensure customers receive the highest level of service. Promote the game of golf in a professional manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for the opening and closing procedures of the golf shop.
- Responsible for opening and closing duties in outside services area when the needs of the operation dictate as directed by the Head Golf Professional.
- Communicate daily activities with the Head Golf Professional
- Complete any other projects or tasks delegated by the Head Golf Professional.
- Monitor tee sheets and golfer check-in as to accurately account for the daily golf rounds.
- Communicate with golf maintenance personnel to keep them abreast of daily activity and report any problems or complaints.
- Monitor golf shop activity and outside services.
- Assist with booking tee times and answering phone calls.
- Assist in the promotion, display, and sale of merchandise.
- Assist in coordinating weekly member and guest events, and preparing for these events.
- Assist outside services as necessary to accommodate daily play and events.
- Provide golf instruction to individuals, or perform clinics, as necessary to meet customer demand and to promote the game of golf.
- Maintain the point of sale equipment and cash drawers and bank.
- Ensure the golf shop has all necessary supplies such as receipt tape, pens, pencils, scorecards, etc.; replenish as necessary.
- Oversee the lost and found program.
- Stay abreast of golf news and equipment in general
- Play golf with members on an occasional basis.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment including all areas of the first floor of the Island House and other golf operations areas.
- Complete all other duties as assigned by Club management.
- Must be enrolled in the PGA or LPGA Apprentice Program and maintain satisfactory progress
- Towards membership in one of those professional organizations.
Education: Two year degree in sports or management preferred but not required based on experience.
Experience: At least two years exposure to a golf program at a public or private facility. Playing ability sufficient to qualify for the PGA program.
Skills: All physical motions required of playing the game of golf and performing pertinent golf operation tasks. Must be able to verbally communicate with members, guests, and other employees. Must be able to present a professional and friendly attitude while dealing with adverse conditions.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Monitor schedules and actions of all golf operations employees to ensure they adhere to golf operation policies and procedures.
Equipment to be used: Golf specific equipment as is necessary to play the game. Basic use of office computer applications such as: word, publisher, Internet, as well as golf tee time software, handicap and tournament software.
Typical Physical Demands: Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office, retail, and sports equipment. Requires the ability to stand/sit for extended periods of time. Requires bending, stooping, and reaching. Requires normal range of hearing and vision. Requires ability to lift and move heavy tables, chairs, and other objects. Requires ability to function professionally in an environment that is both physically and mentally challenging.