Director of Engineering
Seabrook Island Club is an equity owned club located on beautiful Seabrook Island, an oceanfront, private community 25 miles south of historic Charleston, SC. Amenities include fine and casual indoor and outdoor restaurants, event venues, two 18-hole golf courses, 15 har-tru tennis courts, 2 pickleball courts, pools, kid’s club, retail shop, and equestrian center. Annual gross revenues for the Club exceed $16 million and annual gross food and beverage revenues exceed $3.5 million.
Under the direction and supervision of the GM/COO, this position performs the duties of managing the Engineering Department comprised of Maintenance, Housekeeping and Laundry Operations. The Director of Engineering will also lead or take an active role in all capital projects and is responsible for identifying these projects, with input from the GM/COO, department heads, and related committees and presenting these identified projects with project descriptions and quotes for approval.
Essential Department Head Job Functions
- Lead by example and promote the Club’s Core Values, Characteristics, Employee Constitution, Purpose and Mantra
- Focus on maintaining and improving the member and employee experience.
- Establish strong working relationship with GM/COO and ensure open lines of communication with all Seabrook Island Club employees and members.
- Establish regular and consistent communication practices with department employees to ensure expectations are clear and employees are up-to-date with general club activities and policies, while receiving employee feedback accordingly to maintain and improve a positive employment experience
- Oversee the hiring, management and training of all department employees. Provide guidance and regular feedback as well as conduct annual performance evaluations. Update payroll and human resources of all status changes.
- Identify department’s needs including, but not limited to, human resources, physical plant, processes, policies, services and industry standards/trends and establish annual operating and capital budgets to address needs accordingly.
- Regularly monitor department activity and financial performance, making adjustments if necessary, using data trends and pyramid decision-making
- Stay apprised of industry trends and outside influences as they pertain to department operations.
- Regularly attend Department Head meetings, Leadership meetings, manager retreats, and appropriate committee meetings
- Ensure employees have the tools, training and time necessary to achieve the Club’s goals.
- Develop and strive to attain annual goals as established with the GM/COO.
- Work and communicate regularly with club committee and Committee Chair.
- Ensure work areas are organized, clean and safe, meeting any sanitation requirements by outside agencies.
- Identify, report and directly address, if able, any safety-related issues on club property.
- Complete any other projects and tasks assigned by the GM/COO.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee maintenance and housekeeping of all club facilities to ensure a high quality appearance for members, guests, employees and vendors.
- Conduct safety training sessions and educate staff regarding proper safety procedures specifically concerning any equipment or chemical use.
- Develop/maintain communication systems and processes to document and prioritize maintenance requests and status updates that enables a timely response to maintenance and housekeeping needs.
- Assist in the identifying, planning, prioritizing and execution of maintenance projects and improvement projects that coordinate with the capital reserve plans and other long-term facility plans.
- Develop and monitor budgets and costs associated with improvement projects, service contracts and maintenance projects, communicating and making adjustments as necessary.
- Plan, organize, prioritize and direct maintenance and housekeeping staff to meet company objectives.
- Manage all service contracts that pertain to club maintenance and housekeeping services and equipment.
- Responsible for the safety, cleanliness and general appearance of the Engineering Department.
- Ensure compliance with national, state and local agencies on all matters related to facility maintenance, permitting and construction.
- Forecast short and long term maintenance needs to Club facilities, taking a proactive approach to budgeting.
- Respond to maintenance and security related matters after hours.
- Maintain physical security and access control processes.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or plant engineering or related degree or any combination of education and experience which provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities in relevant field. Knowledgeable in government codes and permitting as they pertain to construction projects. Certified Facility Manager (CFM), other engineering certifications or technical training a plus.
Experience: Five years experience in various engineering areas with progressive managerial responsibility in a hospitality environment. Facilities management experience in multi-building environment required.
Skills: Excellent communication, managerial, organizational and leadership skills required. Strong mechanical aptitude and understanding required. Broad knowledge of engineering terminology and concepts and construction planning required.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Maintenance staff, mechanical personnel, parts and inventory management, housekeeping and laundry staff. The Director will schedule and coordinate with outside contractors when necessary.
Equipment to be used: Various maintenance tools, vehicles and equipment, as well as office equipment.
Typical Physical Demands: Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard maintenance equipment. Requires ability to stand and/or sit for extended periods of time. Requires bending, stooping, and reaching. Requires normal range of hearing and vision. Requires ability to lift and move heavy objects of 50 pounds or more. Requires ability to function professionally in an environment that is both physically and mentally challenging.
Seabrook Island Club offers very competitive compensation and benefit packages including: medical, dental, vision, life, flexible spending account, short and, long-term disability, vacation, sick, and holiday pay, 401k with company match, use of Club amenities, reimbursement for continuing education, and opportunities for growth and development.Apply Online Download Application